Your Nav Bar Here

Sunday 10 February 2013


Caring for your nails.




I know more than anyone, just how easy it is to neglect your nails. It's not something that you really think about on a daily basis that fits into your routine, like brushing your hair, or putting make up on. But our nails are constantly exposed to everything that we touch, such as other people, typing, washing up, touching our faces and our hair, opening jar lids, biting, all sorts of activities which are damaging . These make our nails weak, brittle, and easy to break. Not only are they unattractive, but they leave our nails prone to more serious breaks, and nail infections. I thought I would share my routine which I aim to do twice weekly, which doesn't take long, and leaves you feeling happier :)



So as you can see, my nails are unsightly. I was unfortunately blessed with the smallest nail beds on the planet. My nails are jagged from things that they have caught on (and occasional nail biting) and I have dry cuticles, and ridges. First things first is to wash your hands with an antibacterial soap to get rid of any grease and impurities.



Next, I like to use a cuticle oil, specifically Nails Incs Vitamin E Oil Pen, which leaves my nails looking like this:


Next, I use a file with a ridge removing side, a buffer and a shine side. People tend to keep these block shaped pieces of equipment for years, but they harbour germs and all of the bits of nail that you have had over time. They are incredibly cheap to buy, it's best to get a new one every 3 months to avoid infections.I also use a cuticle stick to push back my cuticles, and use cuticle clippers to remove excess cuticle. Again, it is essential to keep replacing these tools. Lastly, when filing your nails, only file in one direction. Sawing away at your nails can actually encourage infections.


I then apply Sally Hansens maximum growth. As you can tell, my nails are the size of a 5 year olds, so I need all the help I can get with growing my nails. It's not that they don't grow quick, it's just how brittle they are. I can safely say that this stuff does work for my nails when I bother to use it, and apply it daily. My nails feel harder and don't peel at all. I highly recommend it, but you do have to keep up with it. 


This is the end result! I no longer have horrible dry nails and cuticles, and they are ready to grow grow grow. Taking the time to maintain them really does help them, rather than letting them get into a state and encouraging infection.

0 comments:

Post a Comment